Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Birth Story of Riella Noelle

It was Saturday, 28th of March 2015, when the world welcomed God's answer to our prayers - our little Lia. It's been a week, and the details are still very vivid in my mind's eye. I thought I'd share her birth story here so I could preserve every single memory. smile emoticon

That day was my scheduled weekly checkup with my OB-GYN, Dr. Lany Gabilo, at Asian Hospital. I was exactly 37 weeks and 3 days along. Yup, I was already full term, but I never expected anything to happen that early as many people say delivery of firstborn babies usually happens on the 38th or 39th week. The doctor's assistant even told me she's hoping that Lia won't come out on Good Friday, and I said I was wishing that, too.

Dr. Gabilo arrived and when it was my turn, she did an internal exam. Much to my shock/surprise, she said, "Mommy, you're already in labor!"  Turned out my cervix was already 4cm dilated and I had no clue. I wasn't feeling any contractions or pain and my water bag hadn't ruptured. I thought I felt something weird around my pelvic area that morning, but I brushed it off for I knew that my baby should already be down there somewhere since I was already full term. Anyway, my OB instructed hubby to have me admitted right away. Waaah, bigla akong kinabahan!  We went straight to Genesis and I was admitted to the Triage where my cervix dilation and effacement would progress. Yep, things happened THAT fast.

I was hooked to different kinds of monitors so the staff could keep an eye on the fetal heart rate, my blood pressure, etc. At this point, I was left alone because Rolly had to go down to fix my admission papers. Then he dashed home to get our hospital bag plus other stuff and to fetch my mom too who, fortunately, was spending that weekend with us.

At the Triage. :) I was even able to take a selfie! Hahaha.

Second IE. My cervix was already 5cm dilated.

They administered a drug (Hyoscine something, I think) to soften my cervix and help things move a little bit faster.

I was given Oxytocin to make the contractions more regular.

6cm naaaa!

By this time, I could already feel that pain moms who have gone through labor often describe. It felt like menstrual cramps for me but these were much more intense and yes, too much to handle.  Like what I knew I would definitely do, I asked for epidural.

My cervix was already 7cm dilated.

I was 8cm dilated but my water bag still hadn't ruptured, the resident OB had to do it manually. I heard a funny popping sound, the same sound you'd hear if a balloon filled with water would blow up and burst.

The final point for my cervix was reached. I was already 10cm dilated and 100% effaced.

At this point, the resident OB seemed concerned. He (yes, he's a guy but he doesn't look like he's straight so it was all good, hehe) said the baby was still at the upper station of my pelvis, when she should already be at a lower station - ready to come out. Something must be hindering her from descending, and he suspected it to be the umbilical cord which could be wrapped around a part of baby's body. Whenever she tried to go down, her heartbeat would drop as well. :( He got on the phone with my OB who was on her way, and she presumed the same thing. Delivering normally would put our baby at risk if her heart rate would continue to be unstable. The CS route was already being considered and we immediately agreed, just to keep our little munchkin safe. Again, we prayed and prayed and prayed. And again after a few minutes, God answered us. Baby's heartbeat stabilized, and the team decided we could proceed with a normal delivery. 

From the Triage, I was transferred to the birthing room where I was prepped. I remember my throat being so dry, I repeatedly asked for water (pero dahil bawal, hindi ako binigyan). I had never been that thirsty in my life. Anyway, because of the epidural, I couldn't feel a thing except for the huge but painless waves of contractions on my belly. When it was time to push, I did. At one point, I heard my OB ask her assistant OB, "Kumusta diyan?" referring to baby's heartbeat monitor. I didn't hear a response. She asked again, and once more, he did not reply. I figured, something must be wrong because the assistant OB didn't want me to hear it. I got very worried, determined that in my next pushes, little munchkin would surely come out. And it happened. After about 8 epic pushes that zapped all the energy out of me, I heard her first cry. I realized that's my baby, and she's already out, she's safe. I cried and cried and cried. Maraming salamat po, Panginoon! smile emoticon

Our "Unang Yakap"
Our very first family photo! :)
Lia all cleaned up! :) Her eyes, nose, and lips still looking pretty puffy.

After my pep squad a.k.a. team of doctors and nurses evaluated our little munchkin and determined she's perfectly okay, that's the only time they told Rolly and I what happened during delivery.  As I was pushing and baby was descending, her heartbeat decelerated to 50 (the normal BPM ranges from 120 to 160) and that was definitely alarming. The reason for the drop was as they initially suspected, Lia's cord was coiled around her neck. :( Haaaay. God was indeed with us during that hour, as He always is.  He didn't allow any harm to  happen to our precious little one, and for that, we are extremely grateful.

So there you have it, the story behind the birth of our Riella Noelle.  The day that officially marked the end of her 37-week long stay inside my tummy. e emoticonon! smile emoticoarm to  happen to our precious little one, and for that, we are extremely grateful.



  1. Hi Joyce...thanks for sharing. Hope you could send me the total amount you spent at Asian. Would really appreciate it. Thanks.

  2. Wow! Great story and God is truly good.

  3. Hi i know this is a late comment but can you emil me the amount you paid in asian? My ob is dra. Gabilo too
    Anyways hope you read this thanks.


© Mommy Joys | Marriage, Motherhood, Life.. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.